Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sick baby, sick mommy

So Anson had been working on a cold for about two weeks and it finally arrived in full force this week. He's had horrible congestion that's making him have a 90 year old man smoker cough. I swear, that's exactly what it sounds like- poor guy. He started throwing up last Sunday as we were walking into church, right on his beautiful Feltman outfit. Apparently Ben already has him trained. The puking has continued throughout the week. I never thought I could be so blasé about getting covered in puke...but I digress. We took him to the doctor who said "Yep. Congestion. Use saline and the aspirator. He's fine." This was not my normal doctor, btw. Ben took him, which was nice, but that also meant he couldn't answer my litany of medical questions. By Wednesday, 90 yr. old smoker was sounding like he was on the road to emphysema, so we went back. Different doctor and she prescribed amoxicillin and an inhaler but basically told me the snot has got to work itself out. So here we are on Saturday with no improvement and I'm about at the end of my rope. We've done the cool mist humidifier, we've done the warm vaporizer-nothing makes a difference. So, brilliant and experienced mothers out there- what is going to help my angel? We will try anything at this point. It absolutely breaks my heart when he gets in the coughing fits. He gives me this look that clearly states "Mom, please fix it!" Oh it kills me.

So Murphy has been following me around like my poor, neglected Pip and decided that one sicky wasn't enough. By Thursday night I was up puking. Hard headed me thinks I can push through and go to school, but that didn't last long. Thankfully, Murphy gave me a break and I seem to have made a recovery, but I'd gladly take puking if it meant Anson would get well. Please say prayers for a speedy recovery for him. Update: I'm finishing this post on Sunday now and he's doing better today. Much less coughing and a lot of gunk is coming out of his nose, so I'm praying we're on the mend!

I knew sickness was a big part of having a baby, but I never imagined how hard it would make every aspect of life. Welcome to working motherhood, right?

But in other news, even with being sick little man is doing new and exciting things! This week he's really discovered that those things attached to his shoulders are his arms and those peculiar protrusions are fingers! He's absolutely fascinated with his hands and uses one to investigate the other. He's grabbing everything in sight and putting it to his mouth. He loves playing with his little blankey animals. See below :-)



Now when I hold him over my shoulder he puts his hand in my hair and rubs my neck. It might be the best feeling in the whole world. Yep, it definitely is! He's rolling over even more fluidly and has decided he prefers to sleep on his stomach. That's fine except for the fact that he's somehow forgotten how to suck his thumb and is waking up looking for something to pacify him. His preference seems to be mom's chest...all night long. So much for thinking we've got this sleeping thing down! But I'm determined to be positive and banish Murphy back to hell. This week has got to be better, right? 

P.S. Thank you so much to my wonderful family for helping this week. We are truly, truly blessed to be surrounded with so much love and help. We love you guys. 

P.S.S. He weighs 16 pounds. What a chub-o!

No comments:

Post a Comment