Sunday, September 13, 2009

Baby mobile




So the whole time I was pregnant I was adamant that I could defy the odds and make my beloved two door Acura the new trend in soccer mom rides. That delusion finally came to a grinding halt after a month of taking Anson to daycare. I knew what would happen the moment I admitted defeat to Ben and, sure enough, within the hour I had six new emails in my inbox with links to Jeeps on Autotrader.  I'll save all the gory details and just state that I (Oh, excuse me; "We," as Ben keeps reminding me) are the proud new owners of a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 

I must admit, the navigation system and ten disc CD changer are big bonuses, not to mention the seemingly infinite amount of space (which I'm sure will not be enough quite soon), but big fat tears were shed as I drove it down the road. This meant goodbye to my beloved...the sleek beauty that responded effortlessly to my every touch or thought...hugged turns, flew by unsuspecting tourists, and positively beamed when I used her tiptronic shifting to pass someone in the dust. I shed another tear as I drove the new Jeep down Lawrence road and remembered taking the Acura for the same cruise and marveling at the raw power that was now mine, all mine. Sure, the Jeep has all the power of a V-8 engine, but if I took turns the same way as I do in the Acura, the Jeep's tires would have a nice view of the sky. 

Ben's face fell as he saw my tears fall. "What? You don't like it? Look, it's got a place where we can hook up a DVD player and I'll get the plug so your ipod can work with the radio. What's wrong? You got a new car!" But once I expressed that giving up the Acura for me was like him giving up the Scrambler, he was quick to sympathize. I know it's selfish, but the Acura was the last vestige of my pre-baby days. I've gladly traded my cute purses for a bulky diaper bag and accepted my new size in pants. I feel no shame in the extraordinary amount of pleasure I feel at the sight of Bailey Boys, Carter's outlet, Baby Gap, the baby aisle at Target. Ann Taylor who? Babies R Us sale?! We're there. But my beloved car--that one just isn't easy. 

So goodbye my friend, my first car that was completely of my choosing. Take your lustrous curves and raw muscle to some other lucky driver, but don't forget our good times together. I'll miss you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment